Friday 31 October 2008

We're all living in Amerika


I have been following the American elections quite closely - probably more so than many Americans - for two main reasons. The first is that the President of America is like the boss of the world, so even if I can't vote I want to be informed about the ideas and goals of the guy who is going to rule the free world for the next four years. The second reason is that the whole thing is very entertaining - which, to be honest, I'm not sure is a good thing to say about an electoral process, but anyway.

As I watch the debates, the speeches, the interviews and read the analysis and comments online I feel like I'm sitting through a lesson on America. I think people's attitude and behaviour towards a major democratic process can be perceived as a kind of mirror of a nation, especially in America, where campaigns are so long and intense. And the USA are a special country. I won't waste time listing all the things I think are good or bad about it - suffice to say that when I was a kid I was marvelled at it, when I was a teenager I hated it and as I got older and (hopefully) more mature I ended up finding some sort of balance between the two. But love it or hate it (or a little bit of both!), there is no arguing it is a country unlike any other. America is different, and a presidential campaign makes some of the differences especially evident. Here are a few examples:

1) The religion issue. Jon Stewart mentioned it a few weeks ago when he interviewed Tony Blair on The Daily Show: in America a presidential candidate must talk to god on a daily basis in order to even stand a chance. Americans may never have elected a woman or an African-American, but it seems even less likely that an atheist or someone who just isn't religious is going to move into the White House in the near future. What are people afraid of?

2) The candidate's family. In Western Europe (my reference) people couldn't care less if the candidate is single, married, divorced, widowed. It just doesn't matter. In America, according to what I've just checked, the only unmarried president was a guy called James Buchanon, who was in office between 1957 and 1961. There seems to be this strange logic, something like "someone who can't have a successful marriage obviously won't be able to successfully run a country". The candidates must have the perfect family and the perfect dog, and that doesn't really make a lot of sense to me. That said, and since the candidates' family members are so exposed we get to form an opinion on them too, let me just say that I think Michelle Obama is great - intelligent, eloquent, successful, but still humble. I love her.

3) The mutual and constant slamming. Each candidate even runs tv ads with images and quotes of the other candidate (usually distorted, misinterpreted or just plain false) in order to insult and discredit him. In the campaigns I'm used to, if a candidate did such a thing it would be seen as a low trick intended to disguise his own lack of ideas and would ultimately end up hurting his own campaign. Of course there is a bit of slamming here too, but only in speeches and such, and never as misleading or as insulting as in America. Not even close.

4) The rhetoric. A candidate must massage the voters' ego with stuff like "America is the greatest country on earth" all the time, or he will be criticised for not doing it. I even heard a commentator criticise Obama the other day for "not doing it enough"! Not that it isn't true, but why the need to mention it every five minutes? What does it bring to the campaign? What does it say about the candidates' stand on important issues?

These things are probably what make presidential campaigns in the US so interesting from an entertainment point of view, but they also make the whole thing a bit shallow and ultimately unfair. I'm sure many people care about the issues and the candidates' views and projects, but apparently many other people will base their decision on the candidates' religious beliefs and habits, their families and personal lives, the lies each one of them spreads about his opponent and the number of times they say "we are the greatest nation in the world". For "the greatest nation in the world" (which they really are, in so many respects), it is a bit disappointing to think this kind of stuff can have a big impact in such an important decision.

On a positive note, and also one of the differences that make America so special: it's amazing to see people's enthusiasm and faith. To see people so deeply committed to their candidate, volunteering for him, campaigning for him, following him around the country. To see people actually taking part in the campaign because they believe (for whatever reason) their candidate is going to be best for the country. Here what happens is that the only people who actually campaign are the ones who are directly connected to the elections, like registered members of the parties. Practically everyone else just sits back at home and waits for election day. That enthusiasm, that willingness to be involved and to make an effort is actually one of the things I admire the most in the American people.

And finally, the endorsement: of course I'm rooting for Obama. Damn, the guy is inspiring. When I hear him speak I feel like getting my ass up and turning my life around! I'm just sorry he's not running in my country! And despite his little experience, throughout the debates he actually seemed better prepared, especially when it came to economics, than McCain. His answers and his speeches are much more clear and specific, while McCain usually resorts to generalities and commonplaces. His health care project is intelligent and just. His tax plan is fairer. He wants to end that insane and unjustified war in Iraq. To be honest, Obama's view on practically every issue is closer to mine than McCain's. And last but not least, he didn't choose a vice-president whose IQ is lower than room temperature (© Alex P. Keaton, who despite being a staunch republican would surely be smart enough to vote Obama).

I know there is a "Obamessiah" thing going on, and the anti-Obama are trying to use it against him, but I kind of agree with it: Barack Obama does seem to be one of those leaders who only come along once every few decades and are able to rally millions of people in order to accomplish great things. I'd hate to see America (and the world) miss out on that chance. But even if he's not all that, I'm sure he'll do better than another republican. So go on Americans, do the right thing. We would if we could.